This weekend I was one of three adjudicators for the first Australia and New Zealand Viola Society Composition Competition - that's a mouthful. There was a fantastic 24 entries that covered two categories, works for solo viola and works for two or more violas, and a young composer category.
The standard was wonderfully high and most of the compositions got a workshop at this weekend's Auckland Viola Convention which was fantastic.
The results were:
YOUNG COMPOSER CATEGORY
- WINNER: Callum Blackmore (Auckland) after the storm will come a sleep
- RUNNER-UP: Josiah Carr (Auckland) A Combination of Contrasts
- WINNER: William Jeffery (Newcastle) Short and Suite
- JOINT WINNER: Roman Benedict (London) Four
- JOINT WINNER: Chris Artley (Auckland) Ah Waiheke
Thanks to my fellow viola-playing-adjudicators Michael Vidulich and Greg McGarity and to Neil Shepherd for the photos.